Moms who want a natural or low intervention birth are often open to thinking outside the box for pain management instead of opting for medication or an epidural. At St. Luke’s, we can provide that experience while still offering the safety of a Birthing Center.
Here are all the ways you can plan for the natural birth you want:
- Labor tubs: Hot water can help soothe pain. Plus, our tubs have jets and are deep enough to cover pregnant bellies.
- Birthing balls: Great for back pain. Sit, roll around or simply rest on it as needed.
- Peanut balls: Shaped like a peanut so it can go between your legs and offer relief while lying on your side.
- Nitrous Oxide: An alternative pain management approach that you can administer yourself. Works quickly and leaves your system quickly. Can be used throughout labor as needed.
- Remote telemetry: The freedom to get up, walk around and move during labor is a big benefit for moms. You don’t have to spend your entire labor experience in your room. We have lower intervention options for monitoring that can be discussed with your provider.
- Aromatherapy: Mom can be surrounded by soothing scents during labor and delivery. We have a certified aromatherapist at the Birthing Center and all nursing staff have been trained to offer suggestions based on your preferences.
- Massage: Our Birthing Center team makes moms feel more at ease in any way they can. That could mean a back or foot rub, or showing a partner how to help relieve pain with massage if that’s more comfortable for mom.
- Midwife: You can choose to have one of our certified nurse midwives (CNM) care for you during pregnancy, delivery and beyond.
- Coaching: Our team is incredibly supportive of whatever you choose, and will coach you through labor in a way that resonates with you. Bonding tends to happen between nurses, doctors, midwives and patients. After all, we spend a lot of time together during one of the most amazing experiences of your life.
- Birth plan: A tool for recording your preferences and wishes ahead of labor. Be as specific as you’d like.
Of course, our priority is the health and safety of mom and baby. If plans change or if there’s a reason to alter your birth plan, we’ll communicate the options and work with you so you feel confident and comfortable.
Everyone at St. Luke’s Birthing Center wants to provide the best outcomes and experiences for you because after all, it’s your story. Your choices matter. We’ll do everything we can to support you.